Welcome to www.jasonemerson.com — information about historian Jason Emerson’s research and writing projects, which focus mainly on the life and times of Abraham Lincoln and his family.
Here you will find information and links to Jason’s books, articles, news, and upcoming projects.
NEWS: Check out Jason’s latest article, “This Civil War–Era Eagle Sculpture Was Made Out of Abraham Lincoln’s Hair,” posted on the Smithsonian Magazine website!
Jason’s next book (with co-author with Erica Barnes) is “The Bear Tree” and Other Stories from Cazenovia’s History, to be published by Syracuse University Press in 2021.
“The Bear Tree” and Other Stories explores the unheralded, inaccurately told, and long-forgotten tales of the historic lakeside village of Cazenovia, in the scenic Finger Lakes region of New York State. Cazenovia is one of the jewels of Central New York, and yet very few books have told its story. Cazenovia is a town founded by wealthy men, and much of what has been written about it has focused on the elite and the grand lakeshore mansions in which they lived. In contrast, this new book chronicles the story of everyday Cazenovia: the fascinating people, places, and history of this 225-year-old community.
Readers will encounter historical characters such as Francis Blakeslee, whose relics from and reminiscences of Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War are unprecedented; elephant and lion tamer Lucia Zora Card, “The Bravest Woman in the World”; educator Susan Blow, “The Mother of American Kindergarten”; and World War I soldier Cecil Donovan, whose letters home vividly depicted the experience of war for those awaiting his return in Cazenovia.
Jason’s previous books include:
- The Madness of Mary Lincoln
- Giant in the Shadows: The Life of Robert T. Lincoln
- Mary Lincoln’s Insanity Case: A Documentary History
- The Dark Days of Abraham Lincoln’s Widow, As Revealed by Her Own Letters
- Lincoln the Inventor
- Lincoln’s Lover: Mary Lincoln and Poetry
- Mary Lincoln for the Ages
- Abraham Lincoln, Harry Houdini, and a Spiritualist LieWas Abraham Lincoln a Spiritualist? Harry Houdini, the famed magician, did not think so, and […]
- Earliest Known Photo of Abraham LincolnThe earliest known photo of Abraham Lincoln is well known and commonly seen today, but […]
- Lincoln’s Descendant Disliked Her Famous HeritageMary Lincoln “Peggy” Beckwith, Abraham Lincoln’s great-granddaughter, was a liberated woman who refused to conform […]
- Mary and Tad interviewed by NY World in 1871When Mary Lincoln and her 17-year-old son Tad returned to American after nearly three years […]
- Escape the NewsThrilled and honored that my book The Madness of Mary Lincoln has been named one of […]
- Lincoln Lore InterviewLincoln Lore magazine published an interview with Jason regarding Mary Lincoln for the Ages, in […]
- History Author Show InterviewINTERVIEW“Q&A with Jason Emerson: Mary Lincoln for the Ages,” The History Author Show, www.historyauthor.com, posted […]
- Mary Lincoln for the AgesJason’s newest book, Mary Lincoln for the Ages, is published. Check it out on amazon.com or […]
- Gettysburg RepliesJason contributed an essay to the fantastic book, Gettysburg Replies: The World Responds to Abraham […]
- Treasures of the Abraham Lincoln Presidential LibraryJason contributed an essay to the fascinating book, Treasures of the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library. […]